Peninsula Windsurfing Assoc. April meeting minutes

From: Jeff Hodges (hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Apr 04 1995 - 16:20:31 PDT

Subject: Peninsula Windsurfing Assoc. April meeting minutes
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 95 16:20:31 -0700
From: Jeff Hodges <hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis>

General Membership Meeting - Peninsula Windsurfing Association - 3/23/95

Minutes taken by John Goldsworthy, edited by Jeff Hodges

The meeting was called to order by our President, Peter Liu at
approximately 7:15PM on Thursday evening at Peter's Cafe in Millbrae.
There were about 30 people in attendance. There were no readings of
minutes from previous meetings.

Treasury Report:

We have had only one collection of funds. This was accomplished by passing the
hat at our first meeting. John Goldsworthy was elected (?) [railroaded. ed.]
Treasurer. As of today, we have $54 in our account. No bank account has
established, awaiting direction from our discussions with SFBA. I would like
to open an account under the alias of Peninsula Windsurfing Association,
Subchapter of SFBA. The current funds are in cash and are being held by me.

Old Business:

1. SFBA Report - No clear decision as to how to pay SFBA membership with
credit going towards PWA. We decided to send some representatives (from among
Peter Liu, Bill Lennan, Prescott Lee, Jeff Hodges) to meet with SFBA
representatives and provide them with some alternatives. We want to remain
close to SFBA, but we need to have our own funds too. The ideal situation
would be for us to be a subchapter of theirs, so that the not-for-profit status
is already established and we will have access to their already established
resources.

Action: Our folks will meet with SFBA in late April and report back to
the membership at our next general meeting.

2. Safety Committee Report - Doug Bogalite (sp) who pilots the helicopter for
the USCG out of SFO spoke to us for a few minutes - he's also a boardsailor.
He helped to set expectations as to how calls to the Coast Guard are
handled and what it took to get clearance for him to be dispatched. He cannot
fly without orders from CG HQ in Los Angeles. Cost of operation, about
$4000/hr. is a major consideration. They will first attempt to conduct a boat
rescue using boats dispatched from: Golden Gate, Treasure Island, Mare Island
or Rio Vista. If a windsurfer is down in shallow water, a helicopter may be
the only means of getting there. Doug explained that they are equipped with
NVG (Night Vision Goggles). Therefore, strobes are the best safety equipment
you can have at night. He said that he carries only a strobe in his emergency
pack when he windsurfs. He mentioned that if the downed person, or an
attending boardsailor, has a UHF radio, they can home in on that signal too.

Discussion followed as to different approaches to triage when calling for help.
The feeling was that by: 1)Using proper radio protocol, 2)Funneling most of the
calls through one center, 3) Performing some triage (i.e., being able to
discern that this is a serious versus spurious call), we could develop more
trust and thereby better response from the CG, when it is deemed their help is
needed. Though it was pointed out that there are many situations where help
would be good, but the CG isn't required. The CG will respond to cellular calls
and Doug suggested calling the CG directly (versus 911). He will get that
number for us.

Jane Parkman submitted a report that she had been able to locate a person
to give us an on-the-water safety clinic at Coyote. Roger Carl has done
these before and was recommended by ASD. Both ASD and Windsurf Warehouse
will cooperate in providing instructors and props. We would like to
schedule this for a Saturday early in May and maybe have a barbecue at the
same time. More details to follow.

Action: The safety committee will look into strobes at West Marine and
have samples available at the safety clinic. Some members recommended
Firefly II as the best model. It is expensive. The safety committee will also
work towards refining the "call for help" procedures.

It was also suggested that we post, at Coyote & 3d, a Chart of the Bay. This
would allow us to properly refer to landmarks and buoys when calling for help.

There still remains some concern about liability. We need to do some more
checking into this.

New Business:

1. We had a report from ___?__ concerning a new system that he and some
friends at Lockheed had develop. They have (or will) place remote video
cameras at Waddell and other coast location and connect them back into
their server. We could access the server and paint a picture of conditions
at these sites via our home PC. He was testing the idea (which they are
implementing) and checking to see how popular this idea might be.

2. The Lake Merrit Sailing Center was vandalized and all of their wet
suits stolen. This has effectively killed their windsurfing program. They
have asked if our members would donate any older or unused wet suits.
Size, gender, etc., does not matter. If you are interested, you may drop
your donation off at ASD, or contact Luigi Semenzato @
luigi@cs.berkeley.edu.-DeleteThis

Next Meetings:

Slide show by Doug Acton in April, date TBD.

General meeting in May at Peter's Cafe date TBD.