Re: Stolen Sail report

From: Leon Snerdgrass (matt@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Apr 03 1995 - 17:11:23 PDT

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Stolen Sail report
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 95 17:11:23 -0700
From: Leon Snerdgrass <matt@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis>

> This must be the season for gear theft.
>
> Saturday night April 1, my car was broken in and a
>
> '93 Northwave 5.2 Slalom was stolen.
> I suspect the culprits are not sailors ( the car was in my driveway
> in San Jose).

I think this is the season for theft, period. This past February,
someone broke into my car and stole my car stereo and assorted
windsurfing accessories. The car was parked in front of my house in
Palo Alto. Fortunately, I had just returned from a windsurfing trip to
Costa Rica and had removed all windsurfing gear and other valuables that
I normally keep in my car (2 boards, 4+ sails, etc, etc).

In my case the thieves were caught after attempting their 6th auto
burglary of the night. Even though the stolen property was recovered,
none of the property will be returned to the owners until the case is
settled (it is evidence). This could be 3 months or more. In the mean
time you can be subpena'd for hearings, trials, etc to testify against
the defendants. Some justice system, huh? Fortunately, some insurance
companies will pay to replace the stolen items while the case is pending
- mine did.

The Palo Alto police department said auto burglaries have recently
reached an all time high. Apparently the thieves are using new
"technology" to break into the cars. Pieces of porcelain from spark
plug tips, etc are being used to break the car windows. This allows
them to break the window with a minimum amount of noise.

Be careful out there ...

-matt