Half Moon Bay report

From: Jack Greenbaum (jackg@cache.crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Mar 09 1995 - 13:26:58 PST

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Half Moon Bay report
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 1995 13:26:58 -0800
From: Jack Greenbaum <jackg@cache.crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis>

On Thu, 09 Mar 1995 13:07:44 PST Michael Schuh wrote:
> Thanks for the report,
>
> Anyone have a Wed report?

Got to Half Moon Harbor at about 11:00. It was dumping rain and
blowin'. Parked by the Yacht Club, put on my wetsuit in the car, and
rigged a 3.7. By the time I got to the water it had died! Everyone was
slogging off the water. One of the locals said "No problem, wait an
hour". Within an hour it was blowing again. Stayed close to shore, my
arms aren't near what they were at the end of the summer. At first it
was a bit holey, but after half an hour my 3.7 Zeta was definitely
enough (I weight #135). Even with frequent rests I was still tired very
quickly. 5 months is a long time to be away from such a physical
sport. After about 45 minutes in and out of the water figured it was
time to go to work. Felt great to be hooked in and on a plane again,
even made some jibes.

This was the first time I've sailed HMB, and won't hesitate to do it
again. I thought I would be cold, but these wet storms are often quite
warm. The weather report said the air temp was in the mid 50's, just a
bit above the water temp. My 3/2 with hood and 1 mil shirt was enough. I
also felt quite safe there. On shore wind, lots of locals but not
crowed.

Jack Greenbaum -- Research Engineer, Ricoh California Research Center
Digital: jackg@crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis | http://www.crc.ricoh.com/~jackg
Analog: (415) 496-5711 voice | 2882 Sand Hill Rd. Suite 115
         (415) 854-8740 fax | Menlo Park, CA 94025-7002