Re: Re: Re: Dynafiber booms

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Nov 17 1994 - 19:29:04 PST

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 1994 19:29:04 -0800
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Dynafiber booms

> > I switched from Fiberspar to Dynafiber masts and Gulftech booms, and my
> > equipment failures *ended*. My next boom will be a either a Dynafiber
> > or another Gulftech.
>
> Good points, but what are the records for these products?

I had a Gulftech for over a year, which is my most used boom. No problems.
No records, just word of mouth. All the carbon booms appeared within a
year or so of each other. I haven't bought a Dyanfiber boom yet, but I
do have a friend that has a couple of them, so I should be able to get
some good feed back on their reliability.

> Also, how do you adjust the clew on your Gulftech boom? I find I need
> to add an inch of outhaul to my sailworks after sailing a bit if the
> wind comes up to really extend the upper end and It took 3 or 4 of us in
> the Gorge to adjust the clew of one of their team riders on a Roberts
> board and Sailworks sails with GulfTech boom. I have a hard time
> finding that many friends to help me when the wind is cranking....8-)

Yes, but did you have a Fiberspar before they improved their clew
adjustment? They slipped, cracked, broke and were totally unreliable.
Then they deepened the groves and beefed up the interlocking colar.
But the front ends still broke ('93). Yes, I've heard that they've
improved in '94, but I had a really bad experience with Fiberspar
equipment. And their masts don't seem to have improved.

> I sail Sailworks masts, but used to use Fiberspar and they've done well
> by me. Then again, I NEVER store my masts in the sun and make sure I'm
> careful to not nick them......

Now wait a minute, I take care of my masts too. My Dynafibers get no
better or worse care than my snapping Fiberspar's did. I've got 3 seasons
on one of my Dyn's, 2 on the other. I never got more than 6 months
on the 3 Fiberspars I owned.

~Jim