RE: Fiberspare Booms

From: Wiesner Craig (Wiesner_Craig@mm.ssd.lmsc.lockheed.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Nov 15 1994 - 15:01:39 PST

Date: 15 Nov 1994 15:01:39 -0800
From: "Wiesner Craig" <Wiesner_Craig@mm.ssd.lmsc.lockheed.com-DeleteThis>
Return-Receipt-To: "Wiesner Craig" <Wiesner_Craig@mm.ssd.lmsc.lockheed.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: Fiberspare Booms
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

Somebody said: FiberSpars are great booms, but probably NOT for heavyweight,
agressive sailors. Big sail, flat
water, slalom sailing, maybe. Anything remotely risky, no way.

For what it is worth -

I am 6'2", 205lb.

I had a pair of '93s that I broke on purpose to get a '94. I love the boom.

I am a Coyote/Third regular, but mostly sailed the coast this year. Baja,
Jalama, Arroyo Laguna and Waddell. I found that on my larger wave sails I get
more low end and quicker response by using the Fiberspare carbon booms.

I am big and heavy and pretty much beat up this pair with no problems. These
booms have survived big surf ("risky?"), breaking masts and sails and me
landing hard from jumping as much as possible (ie, 15'+ big blow at third last
month)

My opinion for bigger guys is: the stiffer the better when it comes to masts,
booms and even sails.

I like the Fiberspare and they do honor their waranty.

                                                     - Craig