Re: Dynafiber booms

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Sun Nov 13 1994 - 13:59:42 PST

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Dynafiber booms
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 1994 13:59:42 -0800 (PST)

'Jay Runge says:'
> Cindy wants some Dynafiber booms.
>
> Does anybody in the SF bay area sell them?
> Anybody using them, could you please send your product reviews.

I've been pretty interested by these as well, as I've been very impressed
with the design of the DynaFiber masts. The braided technology is
definitely the future in carbon tube designs. That said, DynaFiber's boom product
is fairly new, and I for one would wait until next season until they work out
the bugs. I've learned from experience never to buy version 1.0 of anything.
The DynaFiber masts have a reputation for being unbreakable, but if pressed
on the issue, DynaFiber will tell you that their team racers have managed
to break a few of the booms. This, combined with FiberSnap's boom-breaking
problems, makes me think that unbreakable carbon booms must be very difficult
to engineer and manufacture.

If you get the DynaFiber booms, please post a summary to the net. Once I
work off my FiberSnaps, I think DynaFiber is my next buy.

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis