Preserve 3rd Ave.

From: LafingGuy@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri Nov 04 1994 - 14:10:41 PST

Date: Fri, 4 Nov 1994 17:10:41 -0500
From: LafingGuy@aol.com-DeleteThis
Sender: LafingGuy@aol.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Preserve 3rd Ave.

Thanks to everyone who reminded me that you need a date & place for the
Foster City Council Meeting.
Where: Foster City Council Chambers, Between the fire station and the library
at the corner of Hillsdale & Foster City Blvd. Parking entrance is on the
Foster City Blvd. side.
When: Monday, November 7, 1994. This is a little last minute. The meeting
starts at 7:30PM.
Topics for discussion:We are in a position of educating the council that our
sport can benefit the city both financialy (in a small way) and in name
prestige (which apparently is one of their hot buttons) Specifically:
1)The bay area is known for good wind, 3rd ave could become a focal point for
wind surfing in the bay area.
2)This reputation could result in overall positive growth for FC through a
safe, low cost concession that takes advantage of the popularity of the
sport. (The city does not want to spend money just so we can have fun, they
want to invest in a profitable enterprise.)
3)The best way to implement all of this is through good communications with
the windsurfing community. (This is the real focus point, if they don't
communicate with us, we're going to have a much harder time keeping our
sailing site.

Just some personal comments: the population at 3rd is growing, we can't stop
that. We can try to control/govern ourselves in a fashion that is pleasing to
the powers that be. Foster City is looking at a sizable income provider with
the golf development going in north of our launch. We can't provide that
income level but we should be able to "ride in on the coat tails" of the
developer. A concession going in there will pay for the inprovements to the
sight and possibly improve the safety. Basicly we want the city to see us as
a force for good, not evil as they may have in the past.
B)