Re: Re: 3rd ave sensor design

From: Jack Greenbaum (jackg@cache.crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Sep 29 1994 - 11:40:48 PDT

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 94 11:40:48 -0700
From: jackg@cache.crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis (Jack Greenbaum)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Re: 3rd ave sensor design

Uh, folks, what's with the laser? The spinning white-and-black thingy
seems to be to be a *much* easier deal with much lower "environmental
impact". Lasers are sexy but focusing a telescope onto a 6"x4" target
from a 1/2 mile (how far is the channel marker from shore at 3rd?) seems
to me to be just as hard as hitting the same target with a laser. Even
if you could hit it with the laser what about detecting it? How much
power are you going to have to emit to get it out and back?

With a purely passive system you need a telescope that can image the
spinner in some significant part of it's field of view, and some type of
detector. This could range from a phototransistor to a CCD array
depending on how good/bad your optics are. Isn't this just as "hard" if
not easier than a laser/detector hookup?

I know! Let's get a gigahertz band transmitter and detect doppler shift
from the spinner!