Re: you call these forecasts?

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Sep 26 1994 - 13:41:31 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: you call these forecasts?
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 1994 13:41:31 -0700 (PDT)

'Geoff Boehm says:'
> Is it just me, or does anyone else feel the accuracy of the forecasts
> for SF Bay waters has plummetted? It seems that lately they always
> just forecast 25 knots for the bay - when we all know it is BS.

The NWS seems to use a standard script for wind forecasts in Spring,
Summer, and Fall. In Spring they forecast 15 knots. In late Spring, 20
knots. In Summer, 25 knots. In Fall, they go back down to 20 knots, 15 in
late Fall, etc. They are usually good at finding exceptional conditions,
like low wind due to an off-shore low pressure system, or extremely high
winds due to a passing front, but for day-in and day-out forecasts under
average conditions, their reports are fairly meaningless.

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis