Re: Windsight forecasts

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Sep 26 1994 - 10:51:47 PDT

Date: Mon, 26 Sep 1994 10:51:47 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  Windsight forecasts

Mike, do you have a comparison of Windsight forecasts to actual winds?
I made this comparison for the NWS terminal forecasts for SFO and the
correlation with winds recorded at SFO each afternoon. The correlation
is a rather dismal .46. I'd like to know whether Windsight is hitting
better than that.

Clearly there is more value to Windsight than just forecasts, but this
is the kind of thing that can and should be quantified and tracked to
gauge and improve the accuracy of the service.