Re: Tuesday Report

From: Jonathan Hahn (hahn@nas.nasa.gov-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Sep 21 1994 - 11:53:24 PDT

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 1994 11:53:24 -0700
From: hahn@nas.nasa.gov-DeleteThis (Jonathan Hahn)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Tuesday Report

Since there's no 3rd report, I'll provide one. I got there late
(5:10). There was decent wind inside and apparently great wind in the
channel because some people were rigging 4.8's and such, though one guy
rigged a 6.5 (talk about wide variations). For some reason I decided
to go with my 5.5 Prisma, and it was the right call (every once in a
while this happens for some reason).

The channel was really nice with relatively gentle head-high swells,
occasionally a little higher. The wind was strong out in the channel,
but I was just about never overpowered.

The sun set as I sailed back. I covered all but the last 20 yards
under wind power (not necessarily planing), after that my fin hit the
bottom (the low tide was very low). I was the 3rd-to-last one in at
around 7PM. When I left at around 7:30, the last two guys were still
at least 100 yards out and had limited daylight remaining. I know one
of those guys was on a 4.8. With the tide so low they could stand,
albeit in the mud.

BTW I hit a couple of sand bars with my fin not far inside the channel
marker.

-jon

--
hahn@nas.nasa.gov-DeleteThis