Tues at 3rd

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Sep 07 1994 - 11:44:02 PDT

Date: Wed, 7 Sep 1994 11:44:02 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: 72017.461@compuserve.com-DeleteThis, Fred_Sporon-Fiedler@hpctg.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Gerry_Owen@hpctg.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Phaman@ccmail.apldbio.com-DeleteThis, Walt_Menge@hp5400.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, alison@pyramid.com-DeleteThis, cleland@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, cord@hpoemb.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis, coussens@hplczu.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, ghs@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, jlabat@us.oracle.com-DeleteThis, lenb@ssd.intel.com-DeleteThis, matt@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, mfabrega@raynet.COM-DeleteThis, missimer@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, rob_hartman@logitech.COM-DeleteThis, schofiel@sid.hp.com-DeleteThis, sjn@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, wind_talk@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Tues at 3rd

------------ Thu 1 Sep 94

Kirk and I met at ASD (I got a new O'Neill Windskin 4/3 wetsuit - it was
definitely time to replace my 3.5-year-old suit!). The wind direction was
nearly due west, and Coyote looked pretty marginal, so we headed down
to Palo Alto. It turned out that the wind was not very exciting there
either, and the tide was quite low - only the ~30-foot-wide channel was
still covered, making access less than attractive. We bagged it.

============ Tue 6 Sep 94

I figured a strong ebb and 19 knots at 2:00 was too good to pass up for
September (and I didn't sail over the weekend). I was rewarded with a
classic fog setup over the airport and good sailing! I sailed
5.2/Tiga257 from 3:40 to 5:20. For the first hour this was marginal
planing inside, but well powered from slightly beyond the channel
marker. The swell was up to 3 feet, biggest about 1/4 mile past the
channel marker and also at the far edge of the channel. It rarely
presented major ramps (too northerly), but there were often large smooth
swells for jibing on. Later on, it became more choppy and confused,
and the wind in the channel started to back off after 5:00. I came in
and found the wind was actually slightly better right by the shore at
that time.

Saw Jerome - he reports 40 mph on his speedometer last week, and is
jazzed about going to the Gorge for two weeks of speed trials.
Good luck and gawdspeed, Jerome!

"Windsurfing is so addictive because it's like sex: you don't know when
you will get it, and then you don't know how good it will be."
                                        -- Randy Johnson