Re: Re: Should I buy an old board?

From: Kirk Lindstrom (kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Aug 29 1994 - 07:54:43 PDT

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 1994 07:54:43 -0700
From: Kirk Lindstrom <kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: James.Paugh@eng.sun.com-DeleteThis, wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Re: Should I buy an old board?

> The Screamer is a great board to learn on, does everything well. At
> 155lbs, it will eventually be a light air board, though. Kirk has
> a good point about a 9' glass board. I picked up a used 9' glass
> Bruce Jones for $175 last year. I hadn't decided on what I wanted
> for a 9' board, so I picked up the B.J. to get by until I found
> something. The B.J. turned out to be an absolute blast! It can do
> no wrong! It's not the fastest board on the water, but for sailing
> in the surf and jumping, it's a lot of fun. For $175, I couldn't
> go wrong. I've since picked up a Forsyth 9' nonose custom, which
> is fast as hell, and an excellent board, but I still use the B.J.
> for the surf.

More data...The first time I sailed the Gorge it was at the Hatchery on
a "4.0" day so I sailed a 25lb, 8'11", mid 80's glass seatrend (with a
4.9 WW MP41)and hit about 50% of my jibes and I was only making about
25% of them at Coyote on my 9'3" epoxy Course Slalom board at that time.
The board was a dream to turn with and I found the "slowness" to
be invaluable to staying in control.

> Find either a classic design (like the Screamer) in glass or a used
> Screamer.

agreed.
> ~jim
 Kirk out