Re: Possible infection danger in the bay

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Aug 23 1994 - 13:42:37 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Possible infection danger in the bay
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 1994 13:42:37 -0700 (PDT)

'Justin Gordon says:'
> The previous weekend, a sliver of my fingernail broke and I pulled it off,
> causing a little bleeding. It seemed like nothing and I didn't think
> much of it. Later last week, it started to hurt and swell up. The pain and
> swelling got so bad, that I went to see a doctor.
>
> He diagnosed me with having a soft tissue bacterial infection in my finger.
> I suspect that I got it from the water at Crissy Field. He prescribed me
> som antibiotics (and pain killers) and my finger is slowly getting better.
> If I had ignored the pain and not seen the doctor, the situation could have
> gotten bad enough that I would have lost the tip of my finger.
>
> So I am telling this story for two reasons. Be careful if you get a cut and
> go in the water, and if suspect an infection, don't hesitate to see a doctor
> to get some antibiotics.
>
> Has anybody else had any experiences like this?

That's interesting, because the only bad finger infection I have had was
from peeling off the edge of a nail which left a small gash in the finger.
I have no idea why cuts in the vicinity of fingernails tend to get
infected like this, but I can speculate that the reason is constant
exposure to food, which is bacteria-rich. This happened to me in the dead of
Winter, and I was nowhere near Bay water.

The solution was pretty straightforward: I sterilized the wound, put
antiobiotic creme on it, then sealed it in a band-aid. Literally within
hours it started to decrease in swelling, and within two days it was almost
back to normal. This was after nearly two weeks of getting worse each day.
I guess a lot of these infections tend to be aerobic bacteria, and maybe sealing
off the wound from air starves them off some.

Speaking of disgusting Bay water, two seasons ago I made the mistake of
burying my hand in the mud north of Coyote and leaving it there for the
duration of a break while sailing. I developed a pretty disgusting skin
rash that looked like athelete's foot on my hand. I've learned to be a
little less friendly with Bay mud.

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis