gorge report

From: Robert Novak (robertn@hoodriver.esd.sgi.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Aug 01 1994 - 13:16:40 PDT

From: "Robert Novak" <robertn@hoodriver.esd.sgi.com-DeleteThis>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 1994 13:16:40 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, prevett@hoodriver.esd.sgi.com-DeleteThis, peterb@hoodriver.esd.sgi.com-DeleteThis, rws@hoodriver.esd.sgi.com-DeleteThis, molson@hoodriver.esd.sgi.com-DeleteThis, janh@hoodriver.esd.sgi.com-DeleteThis, Benjamin_Cristi@Novell.COM-DeleteThis, scott@auravision.com-DeleteThis, Dave_Wilhoit@siltronic.com-DeleteThis, dsweet@gupta.com-DeleteThis, BERTNOVAK@aol.com-DeleteThis, kolar@ucrac1.ucr.edu-DeleteThis, gracec@kpmgpa.com-DeleteThis, maryann@hoodriver.esd.sgi.com-DeleteThis, tim@detente.com-DeleteThis, moffitt@hoodriver.esd.sgi.com-DeleteThis
Subject: gorge report
Cc: robertn@esd.sgi.com-DeleteThis

I just got back from the gorge last night. I had the most excellent time.
 Sailed eight out of eight days.

The weather was great too. 75 to 95 deg.

We camped at Mameloose campground about 10 miles east of hoodriver. It's a
great location and offers some distance from the main highway and the railroad
tracks.

Had a chance to demo a bunch of equipement too. Here are the facts:

Friday.... drove all night. 3 hour shifts arrived in hoodriver at 9:00 a.m.
Saturday

Saturday....

demo: 8'8" Seatrend -- liked it. very fast, fairly turny.
spot: The Hook
wind: 4.4 for 3.5 hours

Sunday....

demo: 8'9" Mistral Edge-- liked it. scary fast, fairly turny
spot: The hook in the morning and Moiser in the afternood
wind: crazy wind. 3.4 in the morning. The Edge was too big really.
       3.2 in the afternoon. Couldn't sail much because it was too much for
me.

        got a chance to try a friends 8'2" HiTec and an 8'3" Open Ocean. Both
        boards were great.

Monday....

demo: 8'7" Logosz-- neat board. no-noze fliptip. It took a while to get used
to it because it rides really far back. This was the most exotic board that I
check out. Definately a high wind board however. Slow to plane but very fast
and fun to jybe.
Spot: Event Site
Wind: 4.4

Tuesday....

demo: 257 Tiga -- this board was decieving. The platic feel makes it seem
slow but I was keeping up with my buddy on his ASD no problem. This board also
sticks the water. It was great in chop and air out nicely. Quick to plane
too.
Spot: Event site in the morning and Rowena in the afternoon.
Wind: 4.4

Wednesday....

demo: Mistral Ecstasy 8'4" -- Perhaps my favorite board. It was a rough ride
after riding the 257 but it jybed great!!!! Pulled my first duck jybe on this
board at Dougs Beach.
Spot: Dougs Beach
Wind: 4.4 in the morning and 3.9 in the afternoon.

Thursday....

demo: 8'8" CFX ---- Eric Voight(sp?) shaped this on at Dill for the Gorge.
 Nice and fast but scary in 3.9 conditions. I had a hell of a time jybing this
board.
Spot: Event site
Wind: 3.9 --> 4.4

Friday....

demo: 8'4" HiTec IBM - The most turny board of the bunch. Excellent jumper
too. Not that fast however. I guess you can't have everything.
Spot: Drove all over to find a place that wasn't nuking. Tried Maryhill but
it was too crazy(3.0). Went a little west to Avery and sailed overpowered on a
3.4. My buddy scott and I traded off 20 minute sessions. I hope the photos
come out. We were getting scarry air close to the camera man.
Wind: 3.0 at maryhill(couldn't sail) 3.4 at Avery... eventualy couldn't sail..
too windy.

Saturday....

demo: Ecstasy again
Spot: Event sight
Wind: 3.9-->4.4

sailed half day and started the drive home.

--
-- Robert Novak 415-390-2603
-- Silicon Graphics 2011 N. Shoreline Blvd. Mountain View, CA  94043-1389 ms 924