3rd Ave, No longer a virgin

From: Robert R Hain (rrh10@eng.amdahl.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jul 15 1994 - 09:43:41 PDT

From: rrh10@eng.amdahl.com-DeleteThis (Robert R Hain )
Subject: 3rd Ave, No longer a virgin
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 94 9:43:41 PDT

I would like to thank everyone for the advice I got yesterday for sailing at
third ave. I was conservative, going out short distances and making sure I
could get back to the launch site. Fortunately I made it back each time.
The wind came up late, I went out at 4:30, on a 5.9 Waddell Turboslalom. It
was dying near shore when I left about 7:00. Got to practice straps, harness
and getting on a plane with a big sail.

I did find one hazard not mentioned. While waiting for a puff to waterstart,
I got washed into the rocks. (it was high tide) I grabbed one and got several
cuts in my hand from some barnacles. That's fine, I expect bump, bruises,
blood and at least one moment of sheer terror or I'm not challenging myself.
The problem was that my sail did not fare as well. The top panel was sliced
very cleanly on the barnacles.

Will Estes made a good observation, noting I would be using an A-Rock. I found
the same thing at Natural Bridges in 4.7/5.3 conditions. The A-Rock is not
good in chop and swells. I just bought the A-Rock in May and already I need a
new board. At least it was used. My current plan is to go to ASD and try
to get a used 9'0 to 9'2 slalom and later next year an 8'4 to 8'6 high wind.
Are there any other local SLALOM board makers that people can recommend. I
prefer to support local shops and builders when possible. Boards I've seen
in the 9' range are ASD, Stretch, Forsythe, and Seatrend. (Yea, I know
Seatrend isn't local anymore)

Any comments good or bad would be appreciated, and thanks again for the advice
so far.

Bob Hain (6'0", 195 lbs)
rrh10@amail.amdahl.com-DeleteThis
BIC A-Rock & Samba, Waddell 4.7, 5.3, 5.9, Fibersar