Re: 3rd Ave Advice

From: Kirk Lindstrom (kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jul 14 1994 - 09:47:02 PDT

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 09:47:02 -0700
From: Kirk Lindstrom <kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: rrh10@eng.amdahl.com-DeleteThis, wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: 3rd Ave Advice

> Goodmorning,
>
> I'm new to this list, and would appreciate some advice so I
> don't get in trouble and need to be rescued. Sorry if this has been
> discussed previously.
>
> I usually sail at Natural Bridges, and have been to Candlestick
> three times. I would like to try 3rd ave this afternoon for the
> first time. There will be a flood from 11:10 (0.5 ft) to 17:35
> (7.8 ft). Will this be a problem? I can waterstart, use the harness,
             ^^^^
Maybe. The tide will be over head high and walking back in the mud is
really slow if you get stuck downwind. Stay close and you are safe
enough and can use the emergency exits between the launch and bridge
to get out. Driving to your downwind gear might be an issue since
they are now ticketing at the old launch. Leave your lights flashing
and a note on the dash and you may be OK to pickup the gear. The
Flood is very choppy at 3rd and makes staying upwind very difficult.

I'd pick a slack or ebb tide and sail when below 5' for my first time
there. Then again, I prefer Coyote Pt over 3rd unless it is ebbing
and blowing well in the channel.

> and use straps, can't jib yet. I sail an A-Rock (9'4"). Staying upwind
> is not a problem when I go to places like Natural Bridges, but the
> current is likely not as strong.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Bob Hain

have fun and write a "no longer a 3rd Ave Virgin" report!
Kirk