Windsight

From: JefWNDHNTR@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu Jul 07 1994 - 08:52:09 PDT

From: JefWNDHNTR@aol.com-DeleteThis
Sender: "JefWNDHNTR" <JefWNDHNTR@aol.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 94 11:52:09 EDT
Subject: Windsight

I cant comment on the software that windsight offers, however, I can offer an
opinion on the voice forecast.

We all know the limitations of a wind sensor. Since I have an unobstructed
view of Crissy from both my office and my home, I give updates from 12 noon
on every day that I am in town. I do not get paid for this. It is important
to have this visual info: yesterday the sensor indicated that it was blowing
at 25 mph--however, the wind had not reattached (lots of sw) itself to the
water surface and the 4-5 guys that were out were struggling on 5.5's to
6.0's. Also the fog line was moving in quite rapidly indicating that the
conditions would only worsen. As we move into the summer sailing season,
visually looking at the fog line is the only way to truly gauge what is going
on and whats going to happen. Yesterday I did 6 updates from 12 noon to 6pm.
 Predicting wind strength, and its duration is by its very nature is
difficult. but I think Mike Godsey does as good of a job as possible.
   Jeff Bunch