Re: Re: Re: Today at San Luis

From: Kirk Lindstrom (kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jul 06 1994 - 07:40:55 PDT

Date: Wed, 6 Jul 1994 07:40:55 -0700
From: Kirk Lindstrom <kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis, westes@usc.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Today at San Luis
Cc: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

> > > Independent of the speed of the Hip Hop relative to other boards, the point
> > > I am trying to make is that the sail I was on yesterday was a slow sail.
> >
> > Now I understand. Sorry.
> > I thought you were saying you were slower than KenP due to the sail
> > ONLY.
>
> Nope, but I do think that if I had a 4.2 Northwave PRX something a bit
> racier with two cams, carbon battens, etc., that it would have at least
> been a race.
>
> Ken was kind of crippled by a small weed fin, so I'm sure that there was
> plenty of less-than-optimal equipment on both sides.

You raise an interesting point. I've found I'm faster on my CFlex
with a wave fin and wave sail at places like the Gorge where I don't
have to point and I can REALLY get cranking on monstor gusts. Lately,
I've been sailing my CFlex with a wave fin and race sails and it is
ALOT slower and I can tell it is the board/fin as the sail, 5.6 and
6.2, are working fine spilling wind, but the board seems to be
dragging. I just got a "Hot Dog" True Ames 12.5" fin to try and
remedy this for fast bump n jumping. My GUESS is that the fin
(slotted 11" Angulo wave) in not very efficient and the drag is
terrible when loaded with a big sail trying to sail upwind where in
the GOrge it works just fine since I'm often riding off the wind to go
really fast in the gusts and then point upwind in lulls or when I want
to slow down and gain some control (trick I learned in Maui to go
upwind on a hip-hop with a 5.5 Ezzy single cam and 9" slotted Boyd Fin).
I'd be interested to hear how your hip-hop performs with a hot-dog or
other blade-type fin.

> I think the Gorge guys like the TLX design because it can handle just tons
> of wind. They are indestructable, and the rolled up foot makes them great
> for surfing down swell. If that's your style of sailing, and you sail some
> place that is really gusty with monster gusts (aka The Gorge), then a sail
> like that is really going to have a lot of appeal.

Makes sense. I got the Sailworks Revolutions since they are fast,
twist off well to handle gusts, and seem to keep their shape well
while being very light. They are probably not as strong as the
Northwaves, but I don't sail them that often.

> - was well made and wouldn't break easily (my Prydes ripped open any time I
> took them out into sub-4.5 conditions). Plus, Northwave, being a custom
> loft, tends to take good care of its customers when something does break.

A true "yuppie" feel in their loft. It is a really well done store
and shows that they really understand their market and take care of
their customers.
> --
> Will Estes Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis

See ya on the water!
Kirk out
8'8", 8'11 & 9'6" ASD epoxy, 8'8" Challenge Flex
Wt 212#, Ht. 6'0", Usually sail on SF Bay, Cailf.
kirk_lindstrom@sj.hp.com-DeleteThis