Re: Today at San Luis

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Jul 05 1994 - 13:45:04 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Today at San Luis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 1994 13:45:04 -0700 (PDT)

'Ken Poulton says:'

> > > I tried my 4.3 Northwave Tri-Lite sail for the first time.
> > > While the sail handled tons of wind, it just didn't
> > > translate power into speed. Ken, who was on a Windwing 4.2
> > > Race, was killing me all day long. I'm spoiled to race
> > > sails.
> > >
> Kirk sez:
> > Are you sure it is the sail? I imagine you were on a hip_hop and
> > Ken was on his Tiga257. The hip-hop is a dog in comparison by my
> > judgement having sailed both.
>
> I'm tempted to agree with Kirk. I was actually on my 9'0 CFX,
> which is even flatter than the 257. I think the HipHop may
> just have a relatively low top end speed due to its wavy shape.

Independent of the speed of the Hip Hop relative to other boards, the point
I am trying to make is that the sail I was on yesterday was a slow sail.
I know this because I have been on that board with other race sails and it
was much faster, under similar conditions at the same location. If you
leave the board the same, and change the sails, and one sail is slower than
the other, then the board doesn't factor into the comparison. Note, I'm
not comparing me to you or anyone else. I'm comparing me to me...same
board, different sails. The difference I felt wasn't subtle; it was
striking.

It would have been a slow sail on a Tiga 257, or even on a F2 Sputnik.
Maybe it would have been faster on a Tiga 257, but then you are comparing
boards not sails. It was just not competitive with a high-end race sail, and I
know this because I have sailed nothing but high-end race sails for a few years.
And I have been on the Hip Hop many times with a good race sail and it has just
plain gone faster than what it did yesterday under powered conditions on
the Tri-Lite sail.

> "I can't complain, but sometimes I still do."

You're stealing my theme song. :)

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis