Re: mast bases

From: kenb@hpindck.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue Jun 28 1994 - 17:42:51 PDT

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: mast bases
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 94 17:42:51 -0700
From: kenb@hpindck.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis

Jim Paugh writes:

> P.S. I've had bad luck with Fiberspar masts and booms, but I do have
> one of their carbon bases, which has held up very well. The position
> of the cleat is bad though, you tend to drag the downhaul rope
> through it while downhauling, which eats the rope rapidly.

If you have one of those long lever arms, (not the flip-n-easy) the position
of the cleat is great. The lever arm cleats off the rope automagically,
making getting the massive downhaul needed for my Waddell TurboSlaloms a
snap. Yeah, it chews downhaul lines, but it's worth it. Line is cheap,
I just make sure I've got several - I go through half a dozen or so a season.

KenB