RE: Curse of the Delta

From: Justin Gordon (justin@mcm.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jun 24 1994 - 08:32:09 PDT

From: justin@mcm.com-DeleteThis (Justin Gordon)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: RE: Curse of the Delta
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 94 08:32: 9 PDT

I also haven't been to the Delta this year, but for different reasons.

Last year, I lived in Sunnyvale, although sometimes I thought that
I lived in my car. It seemed like every day that I was driving to
Coyote Point, Crissy Field, the Delta, or San Luis Res. Because the
closest sailing spot was a forty-five minute drive, a 60 minute or 90 minute
drive did not seem much worse, especially if the sailing conditions would
be better.

By the end of the summer, I really hated driving around. Hitting traffic
was especially agonizing. All the time spent driving and waiting around
for wind really put a crimp in my social life (it was consequently
non-existant.

Luckily (and as a result of a much hard work), on January 1, 1994, I
moved to the Marina District of San Francisco to work in the financial
district. Now, I do virtually no driving. My typical day goes like this:
5:45 am Bike to work (shower at gym)
4:30 pm Bike home
5:30 pm rig up at Crissy Field

With Crissy Field .75 miles from my apartment, I just haven't had the desire
to sail anywhere else. Also, I would get sinus problems from sailing
at the Delta (does anybody else get this and why?). It's really a treat
saling almost every day and driving less than 15 miles a week.

By the way, my social life is much better. I can showered and ready for a date
by 7:30 on a week night, after leaving work at 4:30 and getting in a quick sailing
session.

--- Begin Included Message ---

                Curse of the Delta

The delta, probably my favorite site to sail, has not been good to me
this year. It all started one day in early May, I believe it was. It
was 30 at San Luis at noon, and I was itching to leave work early. I
really prefer Sherman Island, so I figured - if it's blowing inland to
the south, it's blowing inland to the north. But - I knew the lake was
happening. Decisions, decisions. So, I head out from Santa Clara
south on 101 at 2pm - rational and logical - going to San Luis. Some
second thoughts as I passed 880 north. Then, at the last minute, I
veer onto 680 north - overcome by river lust. My mother warned me
against lust. It was hard to drive up 680 - the wind was howling
through Pleasanton. Yes! Yesss! 2 hours later (stopped to pick up some
food for the night), I pull up to the river, greeted by a gentle
5.5-6.0 breeze. Mom was right. Damn! Waited and watched till 5:00,
but no improvement. So, has anyone ever wondered how long it takes to
drive from Sherman Island to San Luis? About 2 hours at that time of
day - arrived at 7:00, to SOLID 3.0-3.5.

--- End Included Message ---

Justin Gordon
email: justin@mcm.com-DeleteThis
phone: 415.267.1287