Shark: more info

From: JefWNDHNTR@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri Jun 17 1994 - 08:18:23 PDT

From: JefWNDHNTR@aol.com-DeleteThis
Sender: "JefWNDHNTR" <JefWNDHNTR@aol.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 94 11:18:23 EDT
Subject: Shark: more info

I wrote and Will Responded:
To: JefWNDHNTR

'JefWNDHNTR@aol.com-DeleteThis says:'
> A 16 FOOT WHITE SHARK has been spotted off (60ft.) Doran Beach for the past
> two days. Apparently he has an appetite for slotted fins...so make sure
you
> use your pointer fin. Nice fisherman notified mike Godsey of Windsight of
> whity's location, who told me--jefwndhntr

Where is Doran located? What happened that makes you say he likes slotted
fins?

Doran is the speed beach at Bodega Bay: off shore high wind (50mph gusts on
the day of the attack) with no chop. My comment on slotted fins was based on
the study that the harmonic disturbance caused by slotted fins provokes and
aggressive response on great white sharks. Hammerheads, Nurse, and Tiger
sharks did not seem to be as affected as much. Pointer fins have proved more
effective at repel sharks: they also can be used to attack the shark. Doing
a chop hop and aiming the tip of the fin directly at the oncoming shark's eye
seems to deter them rather nicely.

Caost Guard has closed the beach...Whitey killed and ate a 700 pound seal on
tuesday while peolple were sailing! Jeff