Re: Urgent:Crissy Field Access restriciton!

From: Marina Peregrino (marina@ENG.Trimble.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jun 16 1994 - 18:35:49 PDT

From: Marina Peregrino <marina@ENG.Trimble.COM-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Urgent:Crissy Field Access restriciton!
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 94 18:35:49 PDT
Mailer: Elm [revision: 66.36.1.1]

KenB says;

> fariborz@cognex.com-DeleteThis wrote:
>
> > 2) All windsurfing sites on the bay should have a bulletin board
> > explaining the need for having a permit and all the fines and penalties
> > if one does not have one.
>
> Sure, you could put up signs at the major spots (Coyote, 3rd, Chrissy, etc).
> But what do you do about the person who launches from some oddball "secret
> spot"? And who pays for the signs?
>
> Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily disagree, just pointing out some
> practical problems...
>

> > 3) It would be nice to have a bright waterproof tag that one would wear
> > on his/her arm. This way it would be easy to determine if one has a
> > permit or not, from a distance.
>
> Why would we care? I'm sure the Coast Guard isn't going to refuse to rescue
> someone because they don't have the tag. Besides, I don't want to have to
> deal with a tag for each of the 3 wetsuits I wear at various times of the
> year.
>

> > 4) Each site on the bay should have clear marking explaining the level
> > of windsurfing which is recommended for that site.
>
> See comments for #2. Also, how do you describe the level of skill required?
> Or even decide it? Besides, the level of skill required changes with the
> conditions (I have no problems with people learning to waterstart going out
> at 3rd on a 5.5 day, but on some of the 3.5 days we've had recently, it's a
> whole different story.)
>

> KenB

These issues remind me very much of skiing. It's different in that
no organization owns, manages and charges admission but as
far as rating difficulty level it would be no different
than skiing. The difficulty changes depending on the conditions
but there is an attempt to characterize the normal conditions.
The rating is relative to each resort. The beginner resorts have
runs labeled advanced.
The bummer is that it is now illegal to ski out of the boundaries.
If you are rescued out of bounds you are not only liable for the
cost of your rescue but may be prosecuted and fined.
The cost of the signs could be worked out. Who pays for street signs,
or park signs? If a working solution is not found I imagine that it
will become illegal to sail "out of bounds" as well.

-- Marina Peregrino x2211 (aka MMP)