Re: Urgent:Crissy Field Access restriciton!

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jun 16 1994 - 18:28:05 PDT

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 1994 18:28:05 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  Urgent:Crissy Field Access restriciton!

> Currently
> under consideration is a proposal to require that all sailors purchase a
> "Special Use Permit" in order to launch from Crissy. The rationale for such
> a proposal is that many of the problems at Crissy come not from "regulars",
> but from new sailors, and tourists who want to "try Crissy" without having
> the necessary windsurfing or self-rescue skills. The fee would be nominal,
> but would allow for more self-policing: If you did not have a permit and the
> reuired "rescue-pak", you would not be allowed to sail. Enforcement is an
> issue, but presumably we "regulars" would try to "inform" newcomers of the
> requirement.

I'm not violently opposed to this idea, but I wonder if it will really
help. Are the current rescues people who could have gotten in by
themselves if they had a rescue kit? Are most of the rescues really for
newbies? My guess is that there are several classes of people being
rescued:

    Equipment failure, could have repaired. Things like a broken fin,
    boom, etc. With help from other sailors (possibly carrying out
    replacements) these could be rescued without the CG.

    Equipment failure, can't repair. Things like a broken mast, finbox
    removed from board. When far offshore, these folks do need the
    Coast Guard.

    Ran out of wind or got too much wind to sail. Education *might*
    help here, but it's not easy to teach people to use good judgement.

I don't think a permit helps *reduce* rescues in the first two classes.
Mostly, a rescue kit would permit them to call for help more quickly.
Maybe a permit helps the third category, if just by forcing people to
make contact somewhere to get the permit. (If we are proposing regulations,
I would put wearing a full-length, seam-sealed wetsuit above any other
requirements.)

I think that a compilation of the reasons for rescues and the *number*
of occurrences for each one should be the first step in deciding what to
do. Until that happens, we're just adding regulations with no idea of
whether it will help.

I suspect that the only way to really reduce rescues may be to come up
with some other towing solution - a boat or jetski or something that
doesn't require the CG to be involved in non-life-threatening situations.

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."
                                        -- Henry VI, Part 2