Re: lucky to be alive today

From: Robert Novak (robertn@corsair.esd.sgi.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jun 16 1994 - 15:48:13 PDT

From: "Robert Novak" <robertn@corsair.esd.sgi.com-DeleteThis>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 1994 15:48:13 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: lucky to be alive today

On Jun 16, 10:24am, Will Estes wrote:
> Subject: Re: lucky to be alive today
> Wow, sounds you suffered the ultimate doomsday scenario for a windsurfer, or
> at least pretty close.
>
> Facing the middle of the channel and the arch in the San Mateo Bridge,
> where were you located? So that the rest of us know, where is this
> maintenance boat located?

I swam to the east side of the main span. right where the pilings start.
There is no place to climb up east of where the pilings start. Keep in mind
that it's also barnicle city. I was really scared to swim near the pilings
because the surge is so intense and you can easliy get slammed.

I hope nobody needs this info:

1. the power switch is located inside the engine compartment on the aft deck of
the maint.
2. the left right cabin window can slide open with a little convincing.
3. the Coast Guard can be reached on channel 16 and you'll need to switch to 22
for further communication.

> If you were really concerned that the tide would change on you quickly,
> why didn't you swim toward shore, at least until you got out of the channel
> and onto the mud flats (I think the border for the channel is right around
> where the channel marker is located). The tide is a little less there
> because the water is shallower.

I was on the far side of the channel and the wind and waves were forcing me to
the east side of the bridge.

I wasn't sure how far the mud flats were east of my position. Actually I was
in no position to fight the waves anyway. As it was the waves were capping on
me. Any attempt swim sideways to the wave would have taken a lot of energy.

I was also thinking about how long I would last in the water. My wetsuit was
only 2mm. I'm not sure how long I would last before I was too cramped up to
keep swimming or tread water.

I was lining up one of the power towers behind the bridge with the bridge to
get an indication of wether or not I was making forward progress or if the tide
had started to ebb and was pulling me back into the channel. If I was getting
pulled out I would see no other alternative but to head for the mud flats on
the east side of the bay.

--
-- robert novak 415-390-2603
-- robertn@corsair.esd.sgi.com-DeleteThis