Re: Sunday Sailing

From: Matt Yamamoto (matt@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Jun 14 1994 - 12:28:17 PDT

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Sunday Sailing
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 94 12:28:17 -0700
From: Matt Yamamoto <matt@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis>

> > Sunday evening at Crissy was the windiest and most consistent
> > that I have seen it. I was over-powered on a 4.8 race sail. Other guys
> > were getting overpowered on 4.0s. The wind was gusting up to 44, averaging
> > in the high 20s. Huge, scary airs were common. One time, a gust lifted me s
traight
> > out of the water while locked into my harness lines.
> >
> > Jibing right next to beach on perfectly flat water and high winds
> > was very fun.
>
> Wait a minute, what time Sunday evening? I left Crissy Sunday, at about
> 5:00pm, as it was a gusty, bad day! This seem to be a common feeling
> by most of the sailors I talked to. From about 3:30 to 4:15 it cranked
> up with gusts to 40, but it was very gusty (15-40 with an average of
> shit)! Then it dropped down to a point that I couldn't get powered on
> my 8'6" and 5.0 sail. What gives?

I sailed Crissy on Sunday from 4:45 to about 7 on a 8'8" and a 4.2 and I
had a great time (I'm 160#). The wind was gusty the whole time and
lighter when I initially went out but it picked up significantly once
the fog rolled in. I achieved a fully powered plane *every* reach and
on several occasions was so overpowered that my board did some
serious tail walking. The ramps were better than the past few times
I've been there - farther apart, bigger and steeper rather than the usual
close together washboard chop. I think I got the biggest air I've gotten
all season.

-matt