Re: All the rescue talk

From: mchapman@wcdf.viewlogic.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu Jun 09 1994 - 15:27:02 PDT

Date: Thu, 9 Jun 94 15:27:02 PDT
From: mchapman@wcdf.viewlogic.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: All the rescue talk

> I have decided to try and compile all the discussions that all of you have
> genrated on the "rescue/Coast Guard " topic over the past two days and
> forward it to the SFBA, the Coast Guard, and eventually publish it as an
> edited article for either Clay Feeter's Windtracks (formerly "West Coast
> Boardsailor") or in Windsurf Magazine. Basically to get people thinking
> about safety aspects and to let folks know about cyberWindsurfing on the net.

I think it would be great to get the SFBA involved and/or publish an
article in one of the local or national rags. And I think its
important to get input from the Coast Guard on safety equipment,
advice on sailboard "self rescue", and info on how to deal with them
effectively if an emergency does arise.

However, could you be careful about passing along the discussions on
rescue fees and permits to outside agencies. I was a hang gliding
enthusiast and a United States Hang Gliding Assocation (USHGA)
certified instructor for a half dozen years before discovering
windsurfing, and our greatest collective fear was regulation by the
government, i.e., the FAA.

The USHGA in fact, met regularly with the FAA to solicit their advice
on how to *avoid* FAA regulation. The USHGA was very proud of its
record on self regulation; the instructor certification program and
pilot rating system being two of its successful accomplishments.

I'm not sure how well other adventure sports such as scuba diving have
faired in this department, but a few recent deaths in Florida (due to
tanks somehow filled with CO2) could give them some worries.

I think the best way to approach the Coast Guard is to listen a lot
and seek advice on how the SFBA can solve its own problems.

Sorry for the paranoia, but its an old habit of mine.

Thanks,

  Matt Chapman