re:Rescue at 3rd

From: RZM1%PCs%PS@bangate.pge.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed Jun 08 1994 - 07:26:21 PDT

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 94 7:26:21 PDT
From: RZM1%PCs%PS@bangate.pge.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: re:Rescue at 3rd

I've read several accounts lately about the difficulty of towing in other
windsurfers or their equipment using a shortboard. I have tried this myself
several times at Crissy and once at Coyote. From my experience it is not
worthwhile to try to tow in a rig. It's only money, and can be replaced. All
of the rescuer's energy should be directed at saving the sailor. My advice
is ditch the rig and tow the sailor on his board. The amount of drag is much
less than when there is equipment piled all over (or hanging off) the board.
No matter what, it will wipe out the arms of the rescuer, and really test
your ability to balance a slogging shortboard.

Good Luck
Rick Martyn
rzm1@pge.com-DeleteThis