Waddell yesterday

From: Geoff Boehm (boehm@mri.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu May 12 1994 - 11:54:23 PDT

Date: Thu, 12 May 94 11:54:23 PDT
From: boehm@mri.com-DeleteThis (Geoff Boehm)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Waddell yesterday

So, I left work at 12:30 - told my new boss that's just how it is, and
made the drive from Santa Clara.

In the water around 2:00 - slightly underpowered on my 4.5, but by 3:00
I was often overpowered. The waves were mostly chest to head high, but
there were occasional nearly logo high sets, which is beyond my ability,
but life is short. At 4:30, one of these munched me, and broke my brand
new Fiberspar tidal wave (fortunately still under warranty), and also
ripped a gash in the sleeve of my brand new sail (oh well). I've broken
3 masts in 4 seasons at Waddell - and each one was within a month or 2 of
purchase.

The wind continued pretty solid till about 5:30, when I finally drove home.

After struggling ashore, far downwind, and gasping for air, a young woman
came up and asked if I needed any help. I said no, but thanks. She then
added insult to injury by commenting "Gee - and the waves are pretty small
today". Think I'll sail Coyote today. Hope I don't need a 4.5.

                                - Jeff