Re: Kurse of the KenB

From: Matt Yamamoto (matt@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Apr 28 1994 - 18:31:06 PDT

To: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Cc: 72017.461@compuserve.com-DeleteThis, Fred_Sporon-Fiedler@hpctg.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Gerry_Owen@hpctg.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Phaman@ccmail.apldbio.com-DeleteThis, Walt_Menge@hp5400.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, amulhall@pyramid.com-DeleteThis, cleland@hpermsp.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, cord@hpoemb.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis, coussens@hplgcc.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, hartman@fanatic.EBay.Sun.COM-DeleteThis, jlabat@us.oracle.com-DeleteThis, lenb@ssd.intel.com-DeleteThis, matt@hpermsp.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, mfabrega@raynet.COM-DeleteThis, missimer@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, schofiel@sid.hp.com-DeleteThis, sjn@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, wind_talk@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Kurse of the KenB
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 94 18:31:06 -0700
From: Matt Yamamoto <matt@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis>

Ken Poulton writes:
> > From kenb@hpindck.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis Thu Apr 28 14:15 PDT 1994
> > To: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
> > Subject: Re: outa here
> >
> > PIG. I can't go today. Hope you have a miserable time...
> >
> > I'm waiting for epic winds tomorrow...
> >
> > Enjoy,
> >
> > KenB
>
> Okay, so I went anyway.
>
> 3:30: I'm ready to go - and the wind has dropped off. In fact, there
> were four people out on the water on ~6.0 sails and none were planing.
>
> Aside from avoiding the wrath of KenB's Kurse, can anyone figure out what
> I should look at to avoid repeating this fiasco? NWS is no help - they
> called for 17 knots this afternoon, and apparently got it - at SFO, but
> not at Coyote.

After several years of reading weather books, listening to weather
forecasts and playing hunches, I think I've finally come up with a
theory on how to predict good wind. I'm sure you're all amateur
meteorologists by now but my experience has convinced me that other
external factors can be much more important in predicting wind than
analyzing local topography and tracking pressure differentials. The
following are the top ten things I've found that indicate good wind at
your favorite sailing site:

  10. The one and only windtalker at this remote site is broken.
   9. Your Hydrophobic In-laws from out of town are visiting.
   8. An outdoor synchronized swimming event is scheduled at this site.
   7. You realize your work or school project that you've been putting off
      to go windsurfing is due tomorrow.
   6. You have recently broken a critical piece of windsurfing equipment
      which only Leonard, who is on vacation, knows how to repair.
   5. The water at your sailing site is frozen, too low or missing entirely.
   4. You are so sick you wouldn't have the energy to downhaul your sail
      and your Designated Downhauler is out of town.
   3. You promised your non-sailing Significant Other that you would
      attend an all day poetry reading.
   2. A sewage or toxic spill has occurred near your favorite site and
      a sign with a skull and crossbones warns you that you may die
      if you even look at the water.
   1. Your Windsurfmobile is out of commission because the last time
      you went sailing you ran over your brand new, custom $1600, 12 lb.
      epoxy sandwich board and your G-10 blade fin poked a hole in
      your radiator but you didn't know it and drove home anyway and
      your engine overheated and seized.

Of course, if more than one of these items is true, you can be pretty
sure that it will nuke that day. However, this is all just a theory.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

-matt "the glass is half empty"