Re: San Louis Res. question

From: Kirk Lindstrom (kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Apr 07 1994 - 20:00:19 PDT

From: Kirk Lindstrom <kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: San Louis Res. question
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 94 20:00:19 PDT
Cc: kirk@hpoclpa.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis (Wind Dist List), anne@cup.portal.com-DeleteThis (Anne Steiner)
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]

> 'Robert Novak says:'
> >
> > When I called the San Louis Res windtalker if gives me the current level of the
> > forebay. What is too low to sail in?
>
> <219 is the danger level.

agree.

> > p.s. If it is happening this weekend I'm heading out. Anyone else?
>
> I haven't gone out anywhere so far this year. I wouldn't mind giving San
> Luis a try. The report calls for clouds and showers on Friday, though, so
> I wonder if that is going to give enough time for a thick fog bank to build
> in. We'll see.
>
> Will Estes Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis

You don't need fog this time of year. Storm sailing is gusty,
but alot easier on SLR FOrebay than on the main SLR (which is
loads of fun if ya like monster swells) or on the SF Bay.

Sailed Embassy today on 5.6/8'11" and had way too much board
in the channel where it was blowing 19g30. Mike Schuh did much
better going out with a glass board and 4.8 but I smoked him
comming in with my flat course slalom board.

Warning: I don't think I'll sail there again with tides under
2'. Hit a sandbar upwind of the pole and was on my back so
FAST that I was amazed to be alive. I also hit something
beneith the surface outside the runways where I couldn't touch
bottom.....only cracked a board that time...Comming in I played
flat-water-high-wind jibe with some others in 2' of water and
hit my fin on a jib (tail sunk) and decided that this is just
the way I broke my leg so I came in. We got to see several
others find the location of the "new sandbar" which was
entertaining since no one looked to be hurt.

Kirk out