Coyote Monday

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Apr 05 1994 - 01:35:29 PDT

Date: Tue, 5 Apr 1994 01:35:29 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: 72017.461@compuserve.com-DeleteThis, Barry_Patrick@hp0000.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Fred_Sporon-Fiedler@hpctg.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Gerry_Owen@hpctg.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Phaman@ccmail.apldbio.com-DeleteThis, Walt_Menge@hp5400.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, amulhall@pyramid.com-DeleteThis, cleland@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, cord@hpoemb.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis, coussens@hplgcc.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, ghs@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, hartman@fanatic.EBay.Sun.COM-DeleteThis, jlabat@us.oracle.com-DeleteThis, lenb@ssd.intel.com-DeleteThis, matt@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, mfabrega@raynet.COM-DeleteThis, missimer@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, schofiel@sid.hp.com-DeleteThis, sjn@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, wind_talk@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Coyote Monday

The wind was late and so were we: Fred and I didn't leave until 3:15 on a
report of 16 knots. When we arrived at Coyote, it had built some, so I
started to rig 5.7, Fred 5.3. Kirk was going out on 6.2, and looked
powered just off the swim area. It was still building, so I decided to
rig 5.2/8'8 instead. That turned out to be plenty.

We launched around 4:15 and were immediately well powered. The wind
was pretty northerly at first, but clocked around to the more ususal NW
direction as it built some more. The flood chop was showing its normal
sharp 2-foot faces with about 9 feet between waves, which made
for some pretty good chop-hopping. By 4:45 the wind had gone up at
least another sail size and we were already getting tired!

Later in the session I sailed with Kirk for a while and for some
reason he went on in at 6:00. I wasn't completely destroyed yet, so I
went back out for "one more big jump". I went out at least two miles,
but the wind was dying. On the way back I had to slog a lot and ended
up at the far end of the beach for the Walk of Shame. Oh well, with no
wind at all on the beach it was a nice day for a walk.