Re: Thursday - Coyote makes reparations (fwd)

From: Matt Yamamoto (matt@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Sep 10 1993 - 12:22:51 PDT

To: sjn@hpwssjn.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis
Cc: kenb@hpindck.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>, 72017.461@compuserve.com-DeleteThis, ShellI_Matthews@taligent.com-DeleteThis, amulhall@pyramid.com-DeleteThis, cleland@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, cord@hpoemb.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis, craig@psc.org-DeleteThis, fred_schmidt@hpd700.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, geisinger@admin.fhda.edu-DeleteThis, ghs@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, hahn@gigantor.nas.nasa.gov-DeleteThis, kenb@hpinddu.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, kenf@netcom.com-DeleteThis, kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis, kirk@hpoclpa.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis, lenb@Eng.sun.com-DeleteThis, luigi@paris.cs.berkeley.edu-DeleteThis, matt@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, mfabrega@raynet.COM-DeleteThis, missimer@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, schofiel@hpldsl5.sid.hp.com-DeleteThis, schuh@ra-iris13.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis, walter_menge@hp5400.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, wind_talk@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Thursday - Coyote makes reparations (fwd)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 93 12:22:51 -0700
From: Matt Yamamoto <matt@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis>

> > The main other factor is sailing efficiency. Just goes to show that I'm
> > getting more out of the same sail as Dan and Scott. Or maybe it just
> > explains why I go slower than them :-)
>
> I think you've got it turned around, Dan and I are getting more out of
> the sail than KenB is, and Terry is getting even more!!!
>
> I'm not sure I buy the "sail efficency" bit though. If it was more
> efficient to be on a "normally powered" sail than be way over-powered,
> then the pro's wouldn't be rigging 5.0's in 3.0-3.5 wind conditions.
> By that logic it seems that the ones with big sails would go slower
> and thus not be winning, but they are going faster and winning.

The reason the pro's use big sails in a course slalom race is because it
requires a bigger sail to be able to go upwind and downwind fast. Last
year when I was racing in the Coyote Pt series, I had to use a sail that
was .5 to 1.0 meters bigger than the recreational sailors were using and
at times, even this wasn't big enough. Try sailing about 30 - 45
degrees off the wind on a sail in which you are perfectly powered on a
beam reach - my guess is you wont even be able to plane.

For slalom races where you are sailing almost on a beam reach, a smaller
sail seems to be more efficient. In the North One Hour Classic (slalom
race) at Coyote Pt, several of the top local sailors who are heavier
than me finished well ahead of me on sails that were .5 meters smaller.
I'm sure they would have beaten me regardless of what sail I rigged but
it goes to show you that a more experienced sailor can get away with
significantly less sail. Of course, the overall winner of the race
(Matt Schwartz) was on a sail 1.7 meters bigger than most of the other
top finishers but that guy always seems to defy logic.

-matt