YABFB

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Sep 09 1993 - 01:01:56 PDT

Date: Thu, 9 Sep 93 01:01:56 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: 72017.461@compuserve.com-DeleteThis, Barry_Patrick@hp0000.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Fred_Sporon-Fiedler@hpctg.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Walt_Menge@hp5400.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, amulhall@pyramid.com-DeleteThis, andrew_pham@umacmail.apldbio.com-DeleteThis, cleland@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, cord@hpoemb.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis, coussens@hplgcc.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, geisinger@admin.fhda.edu-DeleteThis, ghs@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, hahn@gigantor.nas.nasa.gov-DeleteThis, hartman@fanatic.EBay.Sun.COM-DeleteThis, jackg@acrux.xilinx.com-DeleteThis, jlabat@us.oracle.com-DeleteThis, kenb@hpinddu.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, kenf@netcom.com-DeleteThis, kirk@hpoclpa.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis, lenb@Eng.sun.com-DeleteThis, luigi@paris.berkeley.edu-DeleteThis, matt@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, mfabrega@raynet.COM-DeleteThis, missimer@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, pyramid!west!fariborz, schofiel@hpldsl5.sid.hp.com-DeleteThis, schuh@ra-iris13.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis, sjn@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, westes@netcom.com-DeleteThis, wind_talk@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: YABFB

=========== Wed 8 Sep 93

Despite weatherpersons' predictions, the wind came up and even came
up early. I got to Coyote about 3:15 and went out with 5.7/9'0.
This was pretty marginal near shore - I had to go out past the flight
lanes to get to the wind line where I was plenty powered. On the first
starboard reach my boom suddenly bends down about 3 inches. Yup! YABFB
(Yet Another Broken Fiberspar Boom). This was a boom I got under
warranty replacement in July. :-( As usual, it broke right at the head.
On the other hand, the original purchase was 11 months and 27 days ago,
so I certainly lucked out there.

It took me quite a while to turn the boom over. By the time I finished,
I was so far downwind (tail of the flood tide) that I couldn't make the
swim beach, much less the launch beach. I settled for the inside end of
the harbor breakwater - not real pleasant at high tide. I walked back
to my car, watching the wind fill in nicely. By the time I drove to the
harbor, derigged, drove back to ASD, replaced the boom and drove back to
the launch, the wind was dropping again. I didn't mind dealing with the
broken boom so much (ASD is making that part easy) but I was sure
annoyed to miss the day's sailing.

Ken

"Things fall apart, the center cannot hold." -- Yeats