Re: San Luis News

From: Will Estes (westes@netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jul 09 1993 - 10:36:51 PDT

From: westes@netcom.com-DeleteThis (Will Estes)
Subject: Re: San Luis News
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1993 10:36:51 -0700 (PDT)

'James Cherry [CONTRACTOR] says:'

> Current report is 19 to 29, averaging 24. It's nuking....
>
> dude, that isn't even close to nuking

First, there is no definition of nuking. It's not in the
dictionary. So one man's meat is another man's vegetables (i.e.,
it's all relative). If you live in the Gorge, 35+ is nuking. If
you live in the Bay Area, 4.5 weather at 25 and over is damn windy.

Second, if you have sailed the forebay, you know that a report of 19
to 29 means that there are parts of the forebay that are getting
sustained winds of 27-32. The forebay tends to be a lot windier in
certain places. If 30 still isn't nuking for you, all I can say is
you've spent too much time in the Gorge. :)

Third, if you understand the way the weather systems usually work at
Rio and San Luis, you know that a 3:00 p.m. report with 24 mph
average winds usually mean that the roof is about to blow off the
house at around 6:00 p.m. That didn't happen yesterday, but it has
happened to me so many times in the past that, like Pavlov's dog, I
jumped at a stimulus.

In any case, it's probably going to be windy at San Luis and Rio for
the next few days. Plan accordingly.

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@netcom.com-DeleteThis